Feast is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.
How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.
How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.
To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.Show less
Unlike the traditional families of the past, today's family must work longer workdays in order to meet the financial needs of the household. Women are very much a part of the workforce, opting to work and raise the children. Other responsibilities, such as little league and dance practice or piano lessons, make it difficult to come up with healthy, wholesome, and filling meals for the family. Today's parent depends on the Internet and other resources for quick, tasty meals for their family. These meals decrease the amount of time spent in the kitchen and provide the family with the opportunity to spend quality time with each other.
One dish meals can be simple, filling, and tasty and will allow time for creating memories with each other. The Skillet Chicken Burrito is a one-dish meal that covers the recommended food plate. The dish includes a meat, starch, fruit (tomato), and a dairy product. Although not considered a healthy meal, it can be adapted for those who are very health conscience by substituting white rice for brown rice and using a low-fat sauce instead of cheese.
The Skillet Chicken Burrito is a dish that is so adaptable that even the young children in the family will find it tasty. Instead of chicken, you can use ground beef, a favorite of most young children. This dish is also suitable for meal prep and can be a go-to meal prep dish for teenagers.
Skillet Chicken Burrito
- 1 Pound of Boneless and skinless chicken or turkey breast.
- 1 Can of Black Beans or you can cook your favorite dry beans in advance
- 1 Can of Diced Tomatoes with green chiles, or you can use fresh tomatoes and chilis from your local grocery store. If you choose to use canned tomatoes, look for low-sodium packed tomatoes.
- 1 1/4 Cup of Jasmine or brown rice (cooked in advance). If you have extra time, you can also cook the rice with the other ingredients. I prefer to cook the rice in advance to ensure that it does not become too gummy. To add additional flavor, you can cook the rice in a low-sodium chicken broth and add a little taco sauce for extra flavor.
- 2 Cups of Shredded Cheese. I prefer cheddar cheese, but you can substitute the cheese depending on your taste. The Mexican mix will add additional flavor, and Jalapeno will give you a little kick because of the peppers.
- Chopped Cilantro. Use fresh if possible, since dried cilantro may not be as potent as a result of the processing required. I love to grow my herbs and store them in a cool dark place. I also have several plants in my home that I use to clip for dishes, as I need them.
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil or canola oil
- 1/2 Cup of Diced Onions
- 2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 Package of Burritos
In a large skillet, heat the oil. Once the oil is heated, add the diced chicken or breast and cook for approximately three minutes or just about done. Stir in the diced onions and seasoning and toss with the chicken until the chicken is completely done.
Next, add the black beans and continue to mix and toss as the dish cooks. Slowly add one half of the cheese (or your cheese substitute) and stir constantly to ensure that the cheese or substituted sauce has melted and is mixed well. You will find that the mixture will begin to thicken a little. Be sure that the ingredients are not sticking to the pan. If needed, add a little more oil to the pan or a little water. I prefer to add one or two ice cubes when I need a little more moisture.
Dice about three or four burritos and add them to the mixture, stirring as needed. You can also use the burrito whole and have a burrito instead of a plated meal. If you decide to just make a burrito, you can add a green leafy vegetable, such as some type of lettuce or spinach.
Add the remaining half of the cheese or sauce, spreading over the top of the mixture, and cover for a few minutes to allow the cheese to melt if you decided to use cheese. Once the cheese has melted, remove the top and stop the cooking process.
Plate your meal, starting with the cooked rice and top with the chicken or turkey mixture. Garnish the dish with the chopped cilantro. Store remaining leftovers in a seal tight container in the refrigerator. I prefer to store my rice separate, but the rice and the meat mixture can be mixed and stored together in a seal tight container.
This is a quick, easy, and tasty recipe when you have limited time for preparing the family dinner.