Feast is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.
How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.
How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.
To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.Show less
Hello, my lovelies!
So one of my favorite foods, as friends and family know, is Fettuccine Alfredo, especially with shrimp or chicken. One of the many downsides to this dish is that it is full of dairy because of the cheese, heavy cream, and butter. So since I started eating healthier, I have tried many variations of this dish and finally found a recipe that I love and the good part about it is that it's easy to make. Now if you're just making the sauce because you don't want to bloat but want meat, go ahead and throw some chicken or shrimp in there. You'll get all the creamy goodness without the bloating or being constipated. Or if you're vegetarian or vegan, add some mushrooms in there. It's all up to you!
I'm using cashews because they already have kind of a cheesy taste to them so they make a great base for flavor. Cashews are also great for this dish because when blended, it's very creamy and makes a great sauce.
So let's get started!
The things you will need:
- 2 cups of unsalted cashews
- 1 1/2 of water
- 2 tbsp. of vegan butter
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. of flour
- 1 tsp. of onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of vegan Parmesan cheese
- Boil some water. When the water is boiling, pour it over the cashews and let them soak for at least two hours. The longer you leave them to soak, the smoother your sauce will be.
- After they are done soaking, throw the cashews into a blender along with the water. Blend until smooth or at least has the consistency of "Alfredo" sauce.
- Heat up some vegan butter in a saute pan. Once the oil is heated up, throw in the garlic. Once the garlic is fragrant, add in the flour. Whisk together until all the flour is cooked off.
- Add in the cashew mixture and just whisk everything until it's combined. After everything is combined, add the vegan Parmesan cheese and just stir everything together until combined.
- Add in the salt, pepper, and the onion powder. Now if you'd like, you can add a few tablespoons of nutritional yeast if you have it to give it a more savory favor. Once it comes to seasonings, you can adjust it to make it more palatable to you. If the sauce is too thick for your liking, go ahead and either add more water or some unsweetened plain almond milk. Make sure not to get the vanilla almond milk because then it won't be an "Alfredo sauce." Or use whatever none dairy milk you have.
- Add this sauce to the pasta of your choice. If you don't like Fettuccine pasta, you can use rotini or penne. It works just as well and tastes just as good.
- Now again, if you're not vegan or vegetarian, you can always add some meat to this. If you are vegan but want a little more substance, you can buy the morning star chick'n strips and add those to it or just whatever meat substitute you want to put in.
I hope you guys enjoy and if you do let me know how it is and I'll see you at the next recipe!
Also, if you guys want a recipe for regular Alfredo sauce, please let me know and I will happily post one. There are different recipes to make Alfredo and I have more than one up my sleeve!
Enjoy the recipe!