Hey guys! Welcome to Simply Samantha, where the cooking is simple, and the results are oh so satisfying!
So, I’ve given y'all two things that my dad taught me how to make and now its time for me to share something that came from my momma!
This is one of those recipes that came along when we didn’t have much in the pantry and just threw something together. We had mixed veggies, some rice and chicken, but we were to the point where chicken was the only thing we had in the freezer. (It was the cheapest meat you could get!) So, we were getting tired of having the same either fried chicken or sautéed chicken, and then the almighty chicken and rice. Well, momma looked deeper in the pantry and found some Italian dressing. I know it sounds like the three would go together okay, but it was better than okay; it was one of the best dinners that my momma ever made!
- 3 chicken breasts (decent size)
- 1 bottle of Italian dressing
- 2 bags of boil in a bag rice
- 1 teaspoon S+P (salt and pepper)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Small amount of oil/butter for cooking the chicken
- One bag of mixed veggies (we used California Blend, has carrots, broccoli, cauliflower)
- The part of this recipe that will take the longest is the rice, so we should start that first. The boil in a bag makes it so much easier! Put three and a half cups of water into a microwave safe bowl, add the 2 bags of rice and then microwave for 12-15 minutes.
- Be sure that your chicken is not frozen and then dice it into bite sized pieces.
- In a large pan, (works best with a pan that has higher sides, something higher than frying pan sides) over medium heat, melt about 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter or oil. After your chicken is diced add it to the pan to cook.
- When your chicken starts turning white, you can add the bag of mixed veggies. (The veggies can be frozen, but the water from the veggies will spread to the pan and you’ll have to cook it off before going any further.)
- After adding the veggies (if frozen, cook until water is out of the pan) you can add all your seasonings to the pan. Continue cooking the chicken and veggies until they are fully cooked and both tender.
- By this time your rice should be close to done cooking in the microwave. Take it out and CAREFULLY open the bags into a new bowl to let it cool slightly.
- Now that the longest part of the recipe is over, you can add that entire bottle to the pan that has your chicken and veggies in it.
- Cook the chicken and veggies in the dressing for two to three minutes. The dressing will slowly start to thicken and make more of a glaze than an actual dressing.
- Once the dressing turns into more of a glaze, you can cut the heat off the pan. Take your now slightly cooled rice and plate it, making a bed to put the chicken and veggies in. Add the chicken and veggies to the top.
**Everyone has a different salt and pepper palate, so of course you are free to add more S+P where it is needed! You could even add an onion in with the mixed veggies if you wanted to!
I hope you enjoy this as much as my family has, and remember, don’t knock it until you try it!