Feast is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.
How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.
How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.
To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.Show less
Healthy English breakfast.
Crispy bacon, charred sausage, grilled cherry tomatoes, fresh green spinach, light scrambled egg white, luscious baked beans and fresh sweet potato hash!
When I was losing weight, I knew I didn't want to massively restrict myself and go on an insane diet. I’d already tried every fad diet under the sun and every weight loss group and class and I was sick and tired of them. I didn't want to give up the food I loved but knew I couldn't continue the way I was.
That’s why I learnt how to create my favourite foods in a much healthier way, so I could continue to eat the food I loved and still reach my goal and lose weight. I recreated everything I ate into much healthier versions and quickly got my family on board too, and now the versions I created have become the norm for our house because more often than not, they are better!
A good old English breakfast is one of the most popular cheat foods in the UK and the Americans aren’t far behind with theirs either! The combination of everything involved is so nostalgic but unfortunately isn’t the best for our health. My version is just as nostalgic but with a few small and easy changes, makes it so much more better for us!
Let’s get started…
- 1 Egg
- ½ Medium sweet potato
- 1 Spring onion
- 2 Small mushrooms
- 1 Reduced fat pork sausage (or chicken sausage)
- 2 Rashers of bacon
- Baked beans
- 2 Cherry tomatoes
- Heat a George Foreman grill to a medium heat.
- Slice the sausage in half lengthways and place it on the grill and let it start to cook.
- Meanwhile, place the bacon rashers into the oven under the grill and let those start to cook.
- Cut the sweet potato into small chunks and microwave them with a splash of water for 1-2 minutes until just tender. Then drain away any water.
- Dice the spring onion and add this to the sweet potato.
- Dice up the mushrooms and add these to the sweet potato and spring onion mix, then transfer everything over to a frying pan with a little olive oil, and fry on a medium heat until you have some brown crispy bits.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and add them face down in the same pan as the sweet potato hash. Let these cook until they have caramelised slightly.
- Separate the egg and discard the yolk. In a small pan, heat a little oil or fry light and scramble the egg white, this happens fast!
- Empty the beans into a microwavable dish and heat them for two minutes until piping hot.
- Now its time to assemble. By this time the bacon and sausage will be cooked, I like mine crispy! In the bowl or on the plate, add each component and get ready to eat!
- Don’t forget to add your spinach to the bowl for some extra health!
- Grind some extra fresh black pepper over everything and enjoy!
And there you have a much lighter way of enjoying one of your favourite cheat foods. With just a few small easy changes, you can reduce the kcal and macro intake to make it so much better for you but you still get all of the flavour, satisfaction, and nostalgic feeling but its better for your health!
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!