I absolutely cannot find the pictures I have from my own kitchen when I made it last, so I found a few pictures that are similar!
I have searched and found a few different recipes for this cheese dip around on the internet, but not a recipe quite like the one I watched my grandpa make ever since I was a little kid.
My grandpa wasn't ever in the kitchen much and always let my grandma do most of the cooking. But every now and then, he would work up an urge to make one of his unique dishes. His favorites were this Beef and Ro-Tel Cheese Dip, his Shrimp Gumbo, and a huge pot of his good ole Brown Beans with a ham hock inside.
He is and always has been very into spices and spicy foods, and loves to let anyone have a taste of his masterpieces that he doesn't create too often. He loves to show off what he makes and absolutely loves to hear what anybody has to say about it!
Today, I will be sharing with you my favorite one. He made this cheese dip the most often out of the three recipes he liked the most. I would always sneak into the kitchen and microwave me a big bowl of it and grab about half of his bag of tortilla chips.
This recipe is very easy, cheap, and you might already have the required ingredients in your pantry!
TAKES: 30 minutes
SERVES: 10 servings
Ingredients you will need:
- 1 pound of ground beef (any kind will work)
- 1-2 cans of Ro-Tel (however much you prefer & spiciness you prefer, I use Mild or Original)
- 1½ pounds of Velveeta Cheese (I buy the Original 2 lb. block and use almost all of it) BUT, any cheese you desire will be just as tasty and if you don't like as much cheese as me, just use less!
- Desired tortilla chips (I use Tostitos Scoops or their Bite Size Chips!)
- OPTIONAL: Finely chopped peppers, onion, or vegetables you like.
Step by step directions:
- Brown the ground beef in a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat.
- When almost browned, add the chopped onions, peppers, or any vegetables if used.
- Drain the browned beef and return to your skillet.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Open your can of Ro-Tel and get out your Velveeta cheese or the cheese you are using!
- Add the Ro-Tel to the skillet and cut the cheese into smaller cubes, or chunks.
- Add the pieces of Velveeta cheese to your warm skillet.
- Stirring frequently so that the cheese doesn’t stick or burn to the pan, let cook for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is completely melted.
- Take the skillet off of the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Serve and enjoy with your desired tortilla chips.
- Store in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for about a week!
- Add one to two tablespoons of milk to get a thinner consistency of cheese after step 7, if cheese is too thick. (To prevent the cheese from hardening a little bit when using again and heating up for leftovers)
- When reheating, you can either heat it on the stove in a skillet or pot, or you can just simply use the microwave!
- I think black olives, bell peppers, mushrooms, and all other sorts of vegetables would be great in this dip! You can also use ground sausage or ground turkey instead of hamburger, and it would be just as delicious!
This is definitely one of my most favorite cheese dips and I hope it will become one of yours too!